Separation and Property Settlement Agreements

North Carolina recognizes the right of married persons to reach agreements to separate and to live separate and apart. To be valid, a separation agreement must be reduced to writing and must be executed in the presence of a certifying officer. Many couples choose to include their agreements regarding the distribution of property, spousal support, custody and visitation as well as child support in their separation agreements. These agreements are generally referred to as “Separation and Property Settlement Agreements.”

For more information regarding separation and property settlement agreements, please contact us to schedule a consultation.